Monday, February 11, 2013

Luke 10:38-42

This is not just for women, men can also have these traits.

v. 38-42 Jesus and the disciples went to the home of Mary and Martha.  Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet while Martha was busy getting everything ready.  Martha was distracted by everything she had to do.  Martha came up to Jesus and asked "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"  Jesus answered "Martha, Martha you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Our world is very busy.  I know many moms out there that say yes to every church, school or social event and then are stressed about making 5 dozen cupcakes the day of an event.  When Jesus has to say your name twice, really listen up.  Martha was a people pleaser, her to do list must have been a mile long.  Sometimes when you focus on the details you miss out on the most important one.  Please learn to say no to things that God is not wanting for you.  We are not called to do everything all the time.   Just think if we did everything then there is no room for others to step up and help.  God does not want us to say yes to everyone else, but no to spending time with Him.  There is nothing more important than that.  I am more of a Mary.  I believe Mary was one that looked at the flowers while walking by a field while Martha was too busy to notice.  She also probably didn't care too much for having a spotless house.  I make sure I spend time with God, some days all I get in are my prayers but most days I spend a good amount of time reading the bible and making notes.  Although, I tend to put off things like cleaning when I really should be doing something.  So I think we are to be a balance of both women.

You are the only one to make your schedule.

Mary was at Jesus' feet, not beside Him or sitting above Him.  We should readily come to His feet and dwell in His peace.  Sitting still we can grasp the full knowledge He is sharing with us, yet when we are busy there is no real time for this. 

"This posture benefits me when I think of what I was, what I am, what I must be, what my Lord is, and what He is to me"                                                                                            Spurgeon's Sermon Notes

"Oh, to be more with Jesus! This is true life.
Oh, to hear Jesus more!  This is true service.
Oh, to love Jesus more!  This is true treasure."
                                                                                                                         Spurgeon's Sermon Notes

"The greater the submission, the more grace.  If there be one hollow in the valley lower than another, there the waters gather."  Bishop Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment